Friday 15 July 2011

Photography From The Heart Into The Image


This is the photo that I snapped when I was still an amateur
When I was looking at the images that I shot when I first bought my camera, I was left in a shocked yet appreciative state. The images were extremely beautiful, and had all the details right. But they missed an even more important factor – the ‘"heart" factor! Besides the fact that I was an amateur photographer then (which, needless to say, I am even now) I didn’t know the exact art of photography. Photography, the way you see it, has to be shown into the world by you. When you are clicking a photo, you have to be satisfied with what you are watching through that lens. And whatever you see through that lens is the exact same thing that the world will see. For example, take Fritz Hoffmann, the great photographer who shot for the National Geographic Magazine’s China Edition. He was asked to go and do an assignment in China, telling a story about China with nothing but his images! He discovered the soulful fact that China’s entire story is associated to Kung Fu. He worked on it, putting every inch of his hard work
This is from Fritz Hoffmann's China's Edition
into the photos that he clicked right from the tips of the Himalayas to the temple of Master Shen Jeng (who decided to see Hoffmann after a long wait)! When I saw his photos of China, the sheer sight of those made me hold my breath! Those pictures were so lively, as if I was actually living there, through those photos! Every aspect of those photos – right from the struggle that the kids learning Kung Fu put in it to the calmness and serenity that surrounded the great Master Shen Jeng – all of it was completely mind-boggling! And I guess that’s the exact same time when the little girl in my head woke up from her sleep! And she knocked so hard on my skull that I had to open the protective coverings and let her through into my world! And that little girl taught me how to click
This is a photo of my cousins and my dad
photos – not by measurements and by making angles, but by the depths of my heart, by feeling good about the scene through that cheap lens first, then making it a beautiful picture in my mind and then showing it to others and the world – literally through my eyes! I am an amateur photographer even now, but I think now I am learning and I am on the right path to attaining perfection in my photography!

No comments:

Post a Comment